Let’s face it, we all want more out of our vehicles. Moreover, while we already enjoy the reliability and efficiency that diesel engines have to offer, there will always be something that we can improve.
This theme of improvement dates back to when cars were first invented, with regular advancements that have led us to the modern engine.
Let’s take diesel tuning, for example, an application that first took place in the 1940s, still offering huge, customisable improvements in diesel performance today. It’s even in our name – Rhodeside Auto-Tune wouldn’t be a world-class mechanical service if we didn’t implement tuning.
We recognise that a better understanding of the topic can only achieve better diesel performance in Perth. Thus, we’ve compiled vital information that will introduce you to diesel performance and upgrades, as well as point you in the right direction for implementation. No matter the amount of knowledge you currently have, from zero to intermediate to expert, we will help you.
Valve Train Modifications
The valve train is a mechanical system that manages the operations of any valves in an internal combustion engine. This is controlled with a sequence of components that transmit motion throughout the valves in the structure.
You will experience a world of performance perks once a valve train is modified to meet specific parameters, However, while valve train modification is a great way to get more out of your engine, it’s important to remember that upgrades must remain holistic. This is because more speed and kinetic energy require an increased capacity to handle the strain on relevant components.
That said, proper valve train enhancements result in increased horsepower and RPMs, with upgrades to the camshaft, valves, valve springs, crankshaft, pistons and connecting rods offering amazing benefits. This includes modifications to orbitals such as clutches, and input and output shafts. Let’s take a closer look at some of these implementations:
• Compromised of the cam and the shaft, a camshaft enables valves to open in sync with the crankshaft gear. Altering the camshaft allows for better fuel efficiency and more low-end power.
• Valves can be programmed to open and close at what is considered the ‘perfect’ time, resulting in improved combustion and more desirable compression.
• Valve springs are generally modified to find the best spring tension. If the pressure is too low or too high, it will be unable to keep valves closed or possibly even add additional wear to the cam.
• The crankshaft is what turns linear motion into rotational motion, thus providing the power that moves the vehicle. This can be modified to generate less friction, allowing for less heat and a more balanced internal structure.
• Aftermarket pistons can include cast, forged and billet aluminium, as well as steel. These options can combat erosion from the lip area of the bowl – something commonly found in high rail pressure applications.
Flash Tuning and Diesel Remap
Formally known as the reprogramming of OEM (original equipment manufacturer) chips, flash tuning reconfigures a vehicle’s ECU (engine control unit) programming with optimised parameters. While the same functions will be monitored before and after a flash tuning, it is the altering of the valves that adjust the tuning within the ECU. The right aftermarket tuning will modify the ignition timing curve and fuel valves to increase power while decreasing fuel consumption.
Aftermarket Performance Chips
A diesel chip is an uncomplicated device that forms part of the conventional rail pressure circuit. It ramps up the fuel pressure so that more fuel travels through the injectors and into the cylinder. This, however, can generate higher levels of heat in the cylinder and even burn holes in the pistons.
At Rhodeside Auto-Tune, we offer a highly sophisticated solution when it comes to diesel performance chips. We install aftermarket chips that act as fully functional computer systems, working in harmony with your engine’s existing management computer by enhancing both your engine computer’s functionality and capability. Below is a list of advantages you will experience when installing an aftermarket performance chip with Rhodeside Auto:
• It controls the flow of diesel that’s released by your cylinders.
• It oversees the timing of both your inlet and outlet valves.
• It regulates the amount of air that flows into your system while you’re on the road.
• It fine-tunes your car’s overall performance, allowing it to run optimally for years on end.
More from WA’s Specialists
Whether you’re looking for Toyota, Land Cruiser or Prado tuning, as well as ECU remapping in Perth, Rhodeside Auto-Tune is at your service. Since 1984, we’ve been contributing to Western Australia’s automobile industry with a set of specialised, personalised outcomes. Learn more about anything diesel directly from a friendly staff member on (08) 9457 1776 now or leave us with an enquiry.